Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Q&A with Zech Zinicola

_

Senators Fans Unite: How is the off season going?
Zech Zinicola: My off season has been going very well, trying to just stay low and visit some friends and family. Nothing too crazy.

SFU:The Blue Jays recently selected you in the Rule 5 Draft. What are your thoughts on going to Toronto and the opportunities offered to you as a Rule 5 pick?
ZZ: I can't express to you the excitement I had seeing my name come up in the rule 5 draft when I was drafted by the Toronto Blue Jays. It's a great opportunity and I'm ready for the challenge.

SFU:Have you had any conversations with the Jays? If so, what did they say and did they list any expectations they have of you going in to spring training?
ZZ: Dana Brown was the first member of the Blue Jays that I spoke to and he just wanted to say congrats and to make sure I come in to spring training in great shape and ready to compete for a job.

SFU:In 09 you were “lights-out” with the Senators, but after a promotion to Syracuse you struggled a little bit. Dana Brown, former Nationals director of amateur scouting turned special assistant to Blue Jays general manager, is quoted as saying "I think what it was, he had inconsistent command mixed in with a little bad luck," Brown said. "But stuff-wise, he's up to 96 with a plus slider. I think once he can get the command, get the ball down a little bit, I think he's going to have a chance to take off." What are your thoughts on Brown’s assesment of why you struggled in Triple-A?
ZZ: I know my numbers in Syracuse were not flattering but I felt like I took tremendous strides as a player and I feel I'm ready to make the next jump in my career as a ball player. My strikeout to walk ratio was the best it's ever been in my career and if you take away a couple outings I think it would be a different story.

SFU:After playing parts of 4 seasons in Harrisburg, Senators fans are sad to see you leave the Nationals organization. Do you have anything you want to say to them?
ZZ: The fans in Harrisburg have always been very supportive to the team and to myself, I'm gonna miss that place but I will never forget it. I think the renovations they made this year were spectacular - and after the second part of the renovations are complete the city of Harrisburg will have one of the best places to enjoy a ball game in all of minor league baseball. I would just like to say thanks to all the families who allow us ball players stay in their home while we are away from ours. Without them a lot of guys like me would never have a chance to fulfill our dreams of making it to the show.


Thank you to Zech for taking time during the holidays to answer a few questions. Good luck in Toronto.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice interview, as always, Will!

Much continued success, Zech!!

Jane

Atishay jain said...

nice post just keep posting i would like to hear more about this in future

Atishay jain said...

Nice interview